Tuesday 16 February 2016

At / on / in (time)

Unit 120 - I E G - At / on / in (time)

120.1
1. Columbus made his first voyage from Europe to America in 1492.
2. In Britain most people do not work on Sundays.
3. If the sky is clear, you can see the stars at night.
4. After working hard during the day, I like to relax in the evening.
5. The first man walked on the moon on 21 July 1969.
6. It’s difficult to listen if everyone is speaking at the same time.
7. Jazz became popular in the United States in the 1920s.
8. I’m going out to the shop. I’ll be back in about 20 minutes.
9. (on the phone) ‘Can I speak to Clare?’ ‘I’m afraid she’s not here at the moment.
10. In Britain people send each other cards at Christmas.
11. Many of Europe’s great Cathedrals were built in the Middle Ages.
12. Bob is a very fast runner. He can run 100 metres in 11 seconds.

120.2
1. a) I’ll see you on Friday.
1. b)  I’ll see you next Friday. (no preposition)
2. a) What are you doing on Saturday?
2. b) What are you doing at the weekend?
3. a) They often go out in the evenings.
3. b) They often go out on Sunday evenings.
4. a) Do you work on Wednesdays?
4. b) Do you work every Wednesday? (no preposition)
5. a) We usually have a holiday in the summer.
5. b) We often have a short holiday at Christmas.
6. a) Pauline got married in 1991.
6. b) Pauline got married on 18 May 1991.
6. c) Chris is getting married this year. (no preposition)

120.3
1. Mozart was born in Salzburg in 1756.
2. I haven’t seen Kate for a few days. I last saw her on Tuesday.
3. The price of electricity is going up in October.
4. I’ve been invited to a wedding on 14 February.
5. Hurry up! We’ve got to go in five minutes.
6. I’m busy now but I’ll be with you in a moment.
7. Jenny’s brother is an engineer but he’s out of work at the moment.
8. There are usually a lot of parties on New Year’s Eve.
9. I hope the weather will be nice at the weekend.
10. On Saturday night I went to bed at 11 o’clock.
11. I don’t like traveling at night.
12. We traveled overnight to Paris and arrived at 5 o’clock in the morning.
13. The course begins on 7 January and end sometime in April.
14. It was quite a short book and easy to read. I read it in a day.
15. I might not be at home on Tuesday morning but I’ll probably be there in the afternoon.
16. My car is being repaired at the garage. It will be ready in two hours.
17. The telephone and doorbell rang at the same time.
18. Mary and Henry always go out for a meal on their wedding anniversary.
19. Henry is 63. He’ll be retiring from his job in two years time.

No comments:

Post a Comment