Tuesday 9 February 2016

Like and as


Unit 116 - I E G - Like and as
 
116.1
1. It’s raining again. I hate weather like this.
2. Jane failed her driving test as she expected.
3. Do you really think Carol looks like her mother?
4. He really gets on my nerves. I can’t stand people like him.
5. Why didn’t you do it as I told you to do it?
6. ‘What does Bill do?’ ‘He’s a student, like most of his friends.
7. Why do you never listen? Talking to you is like talking to the wall.
8. As I said yesterday, I’m thinking of changing my job.
9. Tom’s idea seemed a good one, so we did as he suggested.
10. It’s a difficult problem. I never know what to do in situations like this.
11. I’ll phone you tomorrow as usual, OK?
12. This tea is awful. It tastes like water.
13. Suddenly there was a terrible noise. It was like a bomb exploding.
14. She’s a very good swimmer. She swims like a fish.
15. I’m afraid I can’t meet you on Sunday as we arranged.
16. We met Keith last night. He was very cheerful, as always.

116.2
1. This house is beautiful. It’s like a palace.
2. Margaret once had a part time job as a tourist guide.
3. My feet are really cold. They’re like blocks of ice.
4. I’ve been learning Spanish for a few years but I speak like a beginner.
5. I wonder what that building with the tower is. It looks like a church.
6. My brother gave me this watch as a birthday present.
7. It’s true we disagree about some things but I don’t regard this as a problem.
8. It’s very cold for the middle of summer. It’s like winter.
9. He’s 22 years old but he sometimes behaves like a child.

116.3
1. Your English is very fluent. I wish I could speak like you.
2. Don’t take my advice if you don’t want to. You can do as you like.
3. You waste too much time doing things like sitting in cafés all day.
4. I wish I had a car like yours.
5. There’s no need to change your clothes. You can go out as you are.
6. My neighbour’s house is full of interesting things. It’s like a museum.
7. I think I preferred this room as it was, before we redecorated it.
8. When we asked Sue to help us, she agreed immediately, as I knew she would.
9. Sharon has been working as a waitress for the last two months.
10. While we were on holiday, we spent most of our time doing energetic things like sailing, water skiing and swimming.
11. You’re different from the other people I know. I don’t know anyone like you.
12. We don’t need all the bedrooms in this house, so we use one of them as a study.
13. Like her father, Catherine has a very good voice.
14. The news that Sue and Jim were getting married came as a complete surprise to me.
15. At the moment I’ve got a temporary job in a bookshop. It’s ok as a temporary job but I wouldn’t  like to do it permanently.


 
 
Spoken English (Grammar) and Personality Development Coaching for students, professionals, institutions and corporate
Email: bryan27662@gmail.com
Phones: 77100 27 6 62 / 92232 03441
Twitter: bryan27662
+Brian
facebook.com/bryanthankappan
Founder and Chief English EducatorThe Common Sense School
Trustee – Serenity Foundation


One Family - One Tree
Every peel of fruit and vegetable should be placed at the foot of a tree, you will save a lot of garbage and "feed the tree for free."









English Speaking Vacation Batches

April 8 to 30, 2016 from 4.00 pm to 5.30 pm
May from 2 to 24, 2016 from 10.00 am to 11.30 am
Std.12
For school students of Std.5 onwards, Std.10, Std.12 and college students
Materials supplied
The course will cover Grammar rules, correct sentence formation and pronunciation.
Call 9 2 2 3 2 0 3 4 4 1

 

No comments:

Post a Comment