Saturday 17 October 2015

Both / both of neither / neither of either / either of

Unit 88 - I E G - Both / both of    neither / neither of    either / either of

88.1
1. ‘Do you want tea or coffee?’ ‘Either. I really don’t mind.’
2. ‘What day is it today - the 18th or the 19th?’ ‘Neither. It’s the 20th.’
3. ‘There are two sandwiches here. Do you mind which I take?’ ‘No, take either (of them).’
4. A: Where did you go for your holidays - Scotland or Ireland?
4. B: We went to both. A week in Scotland and a week in Ireland.
5. ‘When shall I phone you, morning or afternoon?’ ‘Either. I’ll be in all day.
6. ‘Where’s Kate? Is she at work or at home?’ ‘Neither. She’s away on holiday.

88.2
1. Both (of) my parents are from London.
2. To get to the town centre, you can go along the footpath by the river or you can go along the road. You can go either way.
3. I tried to phone George but both times he was out.
4. Neither of Tom’s parents is English. His father is Polish and his mother is Italian.
5. I saw an accident this morning. One car drove into the back of another. Fortunately neither driver was injured but both cars were quite badly damaged.
6. I’ve got two sisters and a brother. My brother is working but both (of) my sisters are still at school.

88.3
1. I asked two people the way to the station but neither of them could help me.
2. I was invited to two parties last week but I didn’t go to either of them.
3. There were two windows in the room. It was very warm, so I opened both of them.
4. Sarah and I play tennis together regularly but neither of us can play very well.
5. I tried two bookshops for the book I wanted but neither of them had it.

88.4
1. Tom was late. So was Ann.                                            Both Tom and Ann were late.
2. She didn’t write and she didn’t phone.                       She neither wrote nor phoned.
3. Jim is on holiday and so is Carol.                                Both Jim and Carol are on holiday.
4. George doesn’t smoke and he doesn’t drink.             George neither smokes nor drinks.
5. Jim hasn’t got a car. Carol hasn’t got a car either.    Neither Jim nor Carol has got a car.
6. It was a very boring film. It was very long too.   
The film was both boring and very long.
7. Is that man’s name Richard? Or is it Robert? It’s one of the two.
That man’s name is either Richard or Robert.
8. I haven’t got time to go on holiday. And I haven’t got the money.
I’ve got neither the time nor the money to go on holiday.
9. We can leave today or we can leave tomorrow - whichever you prefer.
    We can leave either today or tomorrow - whichever your prefer.

88.5
1. We tried a lot of hotels but none of them had any rooms.
2. I took two books with me on holiday but I didn’t read either of them.
3. I took five books with me on holiday but I didn’t read any of them.
4. There are a few shops at the end of the street but none of them sell newspapers.
5. You can phone me at any time during the evening. I’m always at home.
6. I can meet you on the 6th or 7th. Would either of those days be convenient for you?
7. John and I couldn’t get into the house because neither of us had a key.
8. There were a few letters this morning but none of them were for me.



  
Spoken English (Grammar) and Personality Development for students, professionals, institutions and corporate
Email: bryan27662@gmail.com
Phones: 77100 27 6 62 / 92232 03441
Twitter: bryan27662
+Brian
Founder and Chief English EducatorThe Common Sense School
Trustee – Serenity Foundation


One Family - One Tree
Every peel of fruit and vegetable should be placed at the foot of a tree, you will save a lot of garbage and "feed the tree for free."


Next English Speaking batch commences on  
December 1, 2015 to December 20, 2015
for 20 days x 1.5 hours per day including Sundays
from 7.00 pm to 8.30 pm
All course materials will be provided
Students, professionals and individuals who want to improve their English Language skills can join
The course will be held at Don Bosco School, Borivali (W), Mumbai



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment