Wednesday 5 August 2015

If I had known. . . I wish I had known. . .

Unit 39 - I E G - If I had known. . .        I wish I had known. . .

39.1
1. I didn’t know you were in hospital. If I had known, I would have gone to visit you.
2. Ken got to the station in time to catch his train. If he had missed it, he would have been late for his interview.
3. It’s good that you reminded me about Ann’s birthday. I would have forgotten if you hadn’t reminded me.
4. Unfortunately, I didn’t have my address book with me when I was in New York. If I had had your address, I would have sent you a postcard.
5. A: How was your holiday? Did you have a nice time?
5. B: It was OK, but we would have enjoyed it more if the weather had been better.
6. I took a taxi to the hotel but the traffic was very bad. It would have been quicker if I had walked.
7. I’m not tired. If I was tired. I’d go home now.
8. I wasn’t tired. If I had been tired, I would have gone home earlier.

39.2
1. I wasn’t hungry, so I didn’t eat anything.
1. If I had been hungry, I would have eaten something.
2. The accident happened because the driver in front stopped so suddenly.
2. If the driver in front hadn’t stopped so suddenly, the accident wouldn’t have happened.
3. I didn’t know that George had to get up early, so I didn’t wake him up.
3. If I had known that George had to get up early, I would have woken him up.
4. I was able to buy the car only because Jim lent me the money.
4. If Jim hadn’t lent me the money, I wouldn’t have been able to buy the car.
5. Margaret wasn’t injured in the crash because she was wearing a seat belt.
5. If Margaret hadn’t been wearing a seat belt, she would have been injured.
6. You didn’t have any breakfast - that’s why you’re hungry now.
6. If you had had breakfast, you wouldn’t be hungry now.
7. I didn’t get a taxi because I didn’t have any money on me.
7. If I had had some money on me, I would have got a taxi.

39.3
1. You have eaten too much and now you feel sick. You say: I wish I hadn’t eaten so much.
2. There was a job advertised in the newspaper You decided not to apply for it. Now you think that your decision was wrong. You say: I wish I had applied for the job.
3. When you were younger, you didn’t learn to play a musical instrument. Now you regret this.
You say: I wish I had learned to play a musical instrument.
4. You’ve painted the gate red. Now you think that it doesn’t look very nice.
You say: I wish hadn’t painted the gate red.
5. You are walking in the country. You would like to take some photographs but you didn’t bring your camera. You say: I wish I had brought my camera.
6. You have some unexpected guests. They didn’t tell you they were coming. You are very busy and you are not prepared for them. You say: I wish I had known they were coming.


      


Spoken English (Grammar) and Personality Development Coaching
for students, professionals, institutions and corporate
Email: bryan27662@gmail.com
Phones: 77100 27 6 62 / 92232 03441
Twitter: bryan27662
+Brian
Founder and Chief English EducatorThe Common Sense School
Trustee – Serenity Foundation


One Family - One Tree
Every peel of fruit and vegetable should be placed at the foot of a tree, you will save a lot of garbage and "feed the tree for free."

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment