Monday 14 December 2015

Comparison (1) - cheaper, more expensive etc

Unit 104 - I E G - Comparison (1) - cheaper, more expensive etc

104.1
1. It’s too noisy here. Can we go somewhere quieter?
2. This coffee is very weak. I like it a bit stronger.
3. The hotel was surprisingly big. I expected it to be smaller.
4. The hotel was surprisingly cheap. I expected it to be more expensive.
5. The weather is too cold in this country. I’d like to live somewhere warmer.
6. My job is a bit boring sometimes, I’d like to do something more interesting.
7. I was surprised to see how easy it was to use the computer, I thought it would be more difficult.
8. Your work isn’t very good. I’m sure you can do better.
9. Don’t worry. The situation isn’t so bad. It could be worse.
10. I was surprised we got here so quickly. I expected the journey to take longer.
11. You’re talking very loudly. Can you speak a bit more quietly.
12. You hardly ever phone me. Why don’t you phone me more often.
13. You’re standing too near the camera. Can you move a bit further.
14. You were a bit depressed yesterday but you look happier today.

104.2
1. I was feeling tired last night, so I went to bed earlier than usual.
2. I’d like to have a more reliable car. The one I’ve got keeps breaking down.
3. Unfortunately her illness was more serious than we thought at first.
4. You look thinner. Have you lost weight?
5. I want a bigger flat. We don’t have enough space here.
6. He doesn’t study very hard. He’s more interested in having a good time.
7. Health and happiness are more important than money.
8. The instructions were very complicated. They could have been simpler.
9. There were a lot of people on the bus. It was more crowded than usual.
10. I like living in the countryside. It’s more peaceful than living in a town.
11. You’ll find your way around the town more easily if you have a good map.
12. In some parts of the country, prices are higher than in others.

104.3
1. Yesterday the temperature was nine degrees. Today it’s only six degrees.
    It’s colder today than was yesterday.
2. The journey takes four hours by car and five hours by train.
    It takes longer by train than by car.
3. Dave and I went for a run. I ran ten kilometres. Dave stopped after eight kilometres.
    I ran further than Dave.
4. Chris and Joe both did badly in the exam. Chris got 20% and Joe got only 15%.
    Joe did worse than Chris in the exam.
5. I expected my friends to arrive at about 4 o’clock. In fact they arrived at 2.30.
    My friends arrived earlier than I expected.
6. You can go by bus or by train. The buses run every 30 minutes. The trains run every hour.
    The buses run more frequently than the trains.
7. We were very busy at work today. We’re not usually as busy as that.
    We were busier at work today than usual.
 

 
Spoken English (Grammar) and Personality Development coaching for students, professionals, institutions and corporate
Email: bryan27662@gmail.com
Phones: 77100 27 6 62 / 92232 03441
Twitter: bryan27662
+Brian
Founder and Chief English EducatorThe Common Sense School
Trustee – Serenity Foundation
 

 


 

1 comment:

  1. Спасибо пригодилось, когда ездили покупать квартиру в Махмутларе, запутались, ваша статья помогла, хороший блог, рекомендую

    ReplyDelete