Wednesday 9 December 2015

Quite and rather

Unit 103 - I E G - Quite and rather

103.1
1. The weather was better than we had expected. It was quite a nice day.
2. Tom often sings. He’s got quite a good voice.
3. The bus stop wasn’t very near the hotel. We had to walk quite a long way.
4. I’m tired. I’ve had quite a busy day.
5. Our holiday was OK. We had quite a nice time.
6. It’s warm today but there’s quite a strong wind.
7. I hope that never happens again. It was quite a frightening experience.
8. She speaks English fluently but she makes quite a lot of mistakes.

103.2
1. She’s quite intelligent but rather lazy.
2. The car goes rather well but it’s rather noisy.
3. The program was rather long but quite interesting.
4. George is quite a hard worker but rather slow.
5. I was rather disappointed with the hotel but Jim was quite pleased.
6. It’s quite a well-paid job but it’s rather hard work.
7. Sarah lives quite near us but it’s rather difficult to get to her house.

103.3
1. It’s quite cold. You’d better wear your coat.
2. ‘Are you sure?’ ‘Yes, quite sure.’ (completely)
3. Maria’s English is quite good.
4. I couldn’t believe it. It was quite incredible. (completely)
5. The people I work with are quite friendly.
6. My bedroom is quite big.
7. You’re quite right. (completely)

103.4
1. I didn’t believe her at first, but in fact what she said was quite true.
2. You won’t fall. The ladder is quite safe.
3. I’m afraid I can’t do what you ask. It’s quite impossible.
4. I couldn’t agree with you more. You are quite right.
5. You can’t compare the two things. They are quite different.
6. You needn’t have done that. It was quite unnecessary.
7. I think I saw them go out but I’m not sure.
8. I couldn’t believe what had happened. It was quite amazing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment