Wednesday 6 April 2016

By

Unit 127 - I E G - By

127.1
1. We hadn’t arranged to meet. We met by chance.
2. I didn’t intend to take your umbrella. I took it by mistake.
3. I didn’t put the pullover in the washing machine. I washed it by hand.
4. If you haven’t got any cash, you can pay by cheque.
5. The two cities were connected by satellite for a television program.
6. I never suspected anything. It was only by chance that I found out what had happened.

127.2
1. Liz usually goes to work by bus.
2. I saw Jane this morning. She was on the bus.
3. How did you get here? Did you come by train?
4. How did you get here? Did you come on the train?
5. I decided not to go by car. I went on my bike instead.
6. I didn’t feel like walking home, so I came home in a taxi.
7. Sorry we are late. We missed the bus, so we had to come on foot.
8. How long does it take to cross the Atlantic by sea?

127.3
1. ‘War and Peace’ is a book by Tolstoy.
2. ‘Romeo and Juliet’ is a play by Shakespeare.
3. Ulysses is a novel by James Joyce.
4. Yesterday is a song by Paul McCartney.
5. Guernica is a painting by Pablo Picasso.

127.4
1. Who is that man standing by the window?
2. I managed to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher.
3. The plane was badly damaged by lightning.
4. These photographs were taken by a friend of mine.
5. These photographs were taken with a very good camera.
6. I don’t mind going by car but I don’t want to go in your car.
7. Shall we get a taxi or shall we go on foot?
8. What’s that music? I know it’s by Beethoven but I can’t remember what it’s called.
9. There was a small table by the bed with a lamp and clock on it.
10. Our team lost the game because of a mistake by one of our players.

127.5
1. Clare’s salary was £1,000 a month. Now it is £1,100.
Her salary has increased by £100 a month.
2. My daily newspaper used to cost 50 pence. From today it costs 60 pence.
The price has gone up by 10 pence.
3. There was an election. Helen ot 25 votes and Norman  got 23.
Helen won the election by 2 votes.
4. I went to Kate’s house to see her but she had gone out five minutes before I arrived.
I missed her by 5 minutes.

 
Spoken English (Grammar) and Personality Development Coaching for students, professionals, institutions and corporate
Email: bryan27662@gmail.com
Phones: 77100 27 6 62 / 92232 03441
Twitter: bryan27662
+Brian
facebook.com/bryanthankappan
Founder and Chief English EducatorThe Common Sense School
Trustee – Serenity Foundation

One Family - One Tree
Every peel of fruit and vegetable should be placed at the foot of a tree, you will save a lot of garbage and "feed the tree for free."


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment