Tuesday 12 April 2016

Noun + preposition (reason for, cause of, etc.)

Unit 128 - I E G - Noun + preposition (reason for, cause of, etc.)

128.1
1. What caused the explosion?                What was the cause of the explosion?
2. We’re trying to solve the problem.    We’re trying to find a solution to the problem.
3. Sue gets on well with her brother.     Sue has a good relationship with her brother.
4. Prices have gone up a lot.                    There has been a big increase in prices.
5. I don’t know how to  answer your question.
I can’t think of an answer to your question.
6. I don’t think that a new road is necessary.       
I don’t think there is any need for a new road.
7. The number of people without jobs fell last month.
                                        Last month there was a fall in the number of people without jobs.
8. Nobody wants to buy shoes like these anymore.
                                        There is no demand for shoes like these anymore.
9. In what way is your job different from mine?
                                      What is the difference between your job and mine?

128.2
1. On the wall there were some pictures and a map of the world.
2 Thank you for the invitation to your party next week.
3. Since she left home two years ago, she has had little contact with her family.
4. I can’t open this door. Have you got a key to the other door?
5. The cause of the fire at the hotel last night is still unknown.
6. I wrote to Jim last week, but I still haven’t received a reply to my letter.
7. The two companies are completely independent. There is no connection between them.
8. Jane showed me some old pictures of the city as it looked 100 years ago.
9. Carol had decided to give up her job. I don’t know her reason for doing this.
10. It wasn’t a bad accident. The damage to the car wasn’t serious.

128.2
1. There are some differences between British and American English.
2. Everything can be explained. There’s a reason for everything.
3. If I give you the camera, can you take a photograph of me?
4. Money isn’t the solution to every problem.
5. There has been an increase in the amount of traffic using this road.
6. When I opened the envelope, I was delighted to find a cheque for £500.
7. The advantage of having a car is that you don’t have to rely on public transport.
8. There are many advantages in being able to speak a foreign language.
9. When Paul left home, his attitude towards his parents seemed to change.
10. Bill and I used to be good friends but I don’t have much contact with him now.
11. There has been a sharp rise in the cost of living in the past few years.
12. I’m sorry I haven’t written to you for so long. The reason for this is that I’ve been ill.
13. What was Emma’s reaction to the news?
14. Ken showed me a photograph of the house where he lived as a child.
15. The company has rejected the worker’s demands for a rise in pay.
16. What was the answer to question 3 in the test?
17. The fact that Jane was offered a job has no connection with the fact that her cousin is the managing director.

 
Spoken English (Grammar) and Personality Development Coaching for students, professionals, institutions and corporate
Email: bryan27662@gmail.com
Phones: 77100 27 6 62 / 92232 03441
Twitter: bryan27662
+Brian
facebook.com/bryanthankappan
Founder and Chief English EducatorThe Common Sense School
Trustee – Serenity Foundation

One Family - One Tree
Every peel of fruit and vegetable should be placed at the foot of a tree, you will save a lot of garbage and "feed the tree for free."
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment