Tuesday 3 November 2015

Relative clauses (4) - ‘extra information’ clauses (1)

Unit 94 - I E G - Relative clauses (4) - ‘extra information’ clauses (1)

94.1
1. Ann is very friendly. (She lives next door.)
Ann, who lives next door, is very friendly.
2. We stayed at the Grand Hotel. (Ann recommended it to us.)
We stayed at the Grand Hotel, which Ann recommended to us.
3. We went to Sandra’s party. (We enjoyed it very much.)
We went to Sandra’s party, which we enjoyed very much.
4. I went to see the doctor. (He told me to rest for a few days.)
I went to see the doctor, who told me to rest for a few days.
5. John is one of my closest friends. (I have known him for a very long time.)
John, who(m) I have known for a very long time, is one of my closest friends.
6. Sheila is away from home a lot. (Her job involves a lot of traveling.)
Sheila, whose job involves a lot of traveling, is away from home a lot.
7. The new stadium will be opened next month. (It can hold 90,000 people.)
The new stadium, which will be open next month, can hold 90,000 people.
8. We often go to visit our friends in Bristol. (It is only 30 miles away.)
We often go to visit our friends in Bristol, which is only 30 miles away.
9. Glasgow is the largest city in Scotland. (My brother lives there.)
Glasgow, where my brother lives, is the second larges city in Scotland.

94.2
1. There’s a woman living next door. She’s a doctor.
The woman who lives next door is a doctor.
2. I’ve got a brother called Jim. He lives in London. He’s a doctor.
My brother Jim, who lives in London, is a doctor.
3. There was a strike at the car factory. It lasted 10 days. It is over now.
The strike at the car factory, which lasted 10 days, is over now.
4. I was looking for a book this morning. I’ve found it.
I’ve found the book which I was looking for this morning.
5. London was once the largest city in the world, but the population is now falling.
The population of London, which was the largest in the world, is now falling.
6. A job was advertised. A lot of people applied for it. Few of them had the necessary qualifications.
Few of the people who applied for the job, had the necessary qualifications.
7. Margaret has a son. She showed me a photograph of him. He’s a policeman.
Margaret showed me a photograph of her son, who is a policeman.

94.3
1. Jane works for a company which makes shoes.
2. Colin told me about his new job, which he’s enjoying very much.
3. My office, which is on the second floor on the building, is very small.
4. The office which I’m using at the moment is very small.
5. She told me her address, which I wrote down on a piece of paper.
6. There are some words that are difficult to translate.
7. The sun, which is one of millions of stars in the universe, provides us with heat and light.
 
 


       



Spoken English (Grammar) and Personality Development for students, professionals, institutions and corporate
Email: bryan27662@gmail.com
Phones: 77100 27 6 62 / 92232 03441
Twitter: bryan27662
+Brian
Founder and Chief English EducatorThe Common Sense School
Trustee – Serenity Foundation

One Family - One Tree
Every peel of fruit and vegetable should be placed at the foot of a tree, you will save a lot of garbage and "feed the tree for free."


Next English Speaking batch commences on  
December 1, 2015 to December 20, 2015
for 20 days x 1.5 hours per day including Sundays
from 7.00 pm to 8.30 pm
All course materials will be provided
Students, professionals and individuals who want to improve their English Language skills can join
The course will be held at Don Bosco School, Borivali (W), Mumbai

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment