Monday 6 July 2015

To. . . , for. . . and so that. . . (purpose)

To. . . , for. . . and so that. . . (purpose)
63.1

1. I shouted to warn people of the danger.
2. I had to go to the bank to get some money.
3. I’m saving money to go to Canada.
4. I went to hospital to have an operation.
5. I’m wearing two pullovers to keep warm.
6. I phoned the police station to report that my car had been stolen.

63.2
1. The President has a team of bodyguards to protect him.
2. I didn’t have enough time to read  the newspapers.
3. I came home by taxi. I didn’t have the energy to walk.
4. ‘Would you like something to drink?’ ‘Yes, please. A cup of coffee.’
5. We need a bag to put these things in.
6. There will be a meeting next week to discuss the problem.
7. I wish we had enough money to buy a new car.
8. I saw Helen at the party but we didn’t have a chance to speak to each other.
9. I need some new clothes. I haven’t got anything nice to wear.
10. They’ve have just passed their exams. They’re having a party to celebrate.
11. I can’t do all this work alone. I need somebody  to help me.

63.3
1. I’m going to Spain for a holiday.
2. You need a lot of experience to do this job.
3. You need a lot of experience for this job.
4. We’ll need more time to make a decision.
5. I went to the dentist for a check-up.
6. I had to put on my glasses to read the  letter.
7. Do you wear glasses for  reading?
8. I wish we had a garden for the children to play.

63.4
1. I hurried. I didn’t want to be late.
I hurried so that I wouldn’t be late.
2. We wore warm clothes. We didn’t want to get cold.
We wore warm clothes so that we wouldn’t get cold.
3. The man spoke very slowly. He wanted me to understand what he said.
The man spoke very slowly so that I could understand what he said.
4. I whispered. I didn’t want anybody else to hear our conversation.
I whispered so that nobody could hear our conversation.
5. Please arrive early. We want to be able to start the meeting on time.
Please arrive early so that we can start the meeting on time.
6. She locked the door. She didn’t want to be disturbed.
She locked the door so that she wouldn’t be disturbed.
7. I slowed down. I wanted the car behind me to be able to overtake.
I slowed down so that the car behind me could overtake.








Spoken English (Grammar) and Personality Development
for students, professionals, institutions and corporate
Email: bryan27662@gmail.com
Phones: 77100 27 6 62 / 92232 03441
Twitter: bryan27662
+Brian
Founder and Chief English EducatorThe Common Sense School
Trustee – Serenity Foundation


One Family - One Tree
Every peel of fruit and vegetable should be placed at the foot of a tree, you will save a lot of garbage and "feed the tree for free."
 


No comments:

Post a Comment