Tuesday 19 January 2016

Although / though / even though In spite of / despite

Unit 112 - I E G - Although / though / even though         In spite of / despite


112.1
1. Although he has a very important job, he isn’t particularly well paid.
2. Although I had never seen her before, I recognized her from a photograph.
3. She wasn’t wearing a coat although it was cold.
4. We thought we had better invite them to the party although we don’t like them very much.
5. Although I didn’t speak the language, I managed to make myself understood.
6. Although the heating was on, the room wasn’t warm..
7. I didn’t recognize her although I had met her twice.
8. We’re not very good friends although we’ve known each other for a very long time.


112.2
1. Although it rained a lot, we enjoyed our holiday.
2. a. In spite of all our careful plans, a lot of things went wrong.
2. b. Although we had planned everything carefully, a lot of things went wrong.
3. a. I went home early because I was feeling unwell.
3. b. I went to work the next day although I was still feeling unwell.
4. a. She only accepted the job because of the salary, which was very high.
4. b. She accepted the job in spite of the salary, which was rather low.
5. a. I managed to get to sleep although there was a lot of noise.
5. b. I couldn’t get to sleep because of the noise.
6. a. He passed the exam although he didn’t study enough.
6. b. He passed the exam because he studied a lot.
7. a. I didn’t eat anything although I was very hungry.
7. b. I didn’t eat anything in spite of being very hungry.


112.3
1. I couldn’t sleep. I was tired.        I couldn’t sleep despite being tired.
2. They have very little money. They are happy.
 In spite of having very little money, the are happy.
3. My foot was injured. I managed to walk to the nearest village.
             Although my foot was injured, I managed to walk to the nearest village.
4. I enjoyed the film. The story was silly.
In spite of the story being silly, I enjoyed the film.
5. We live in the same street. We hardly ever see each other.
Despite living in the same street, we hardly ever see each other.
6. I got very wet in the rain. I had an umbrella.
             Even though I had an umbrella, I got very wet in the rain.

112.4
1. The house isn’t very nice.         I like the garden though.
2. It’s quite warm.                         It’s a bit windy though.
3. We didn’t like the food.           We ate it though.
4. Liz is very nice.                          I don’t like her husband though.
 



Spoken English (Grammar) and Personality Development Coaching for students, professionals, institutions and corporate
Email: bryan27662@gmail.com
Phones: 77100 27 6 62 / 92232 03441
Twitter: bryan27662
+Brian
Founder and Chief English EducatorThe Common Sense School
Trustee – Serenity Foundation



CUP CAKES n More WORKSHOPOn 23rd Jan 2:00pm onwards
Age group 12yrs +
Venue - Kandivali W ,Mumbai

Complete hands on class where you will bake all the cupcakes from scratch using the recipes

Practice all the piping techniques ...various buttercream designs n flowers to adorn d cupcakes
(visit my page on fb to c pic of previous classes
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=110811785724602)
Egg n Eggless recipes as well as ....egg substitutes will also b given

For Registrations n details Call /Whatsapp us on 98201 00253

● Inclusive of material
● Students will take cupcake goodies
● Printed Recipes would be provided during the workshop.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment